Money is used by all countries no matter how small and is available in different forms. In the past, coins were used by almost everyone around the world in different ranges. These coins had something embossed on them relating to a particular event in the country. Some of these historical coins are now very precious and rare in the world.
The history of coinage is a history in itself and each coin has its own story to tell. Each coin is as varied and unique as the people of the society that used them. They can be regarded as an art and this is the reason why collecting coins is such a popular hobby around the world.
Many people know that there are a few coins that are valuable because of their inherent intrinsic value, people can be surprised as to how much a particular coin can be worth in an auction and the reason behind people spending millions in acquiring these.
Here is the list of the top 10 expensive coins in the world up till 2015 and their current value in dollars, There are also a few coins that are unique kept in museums and are not available for sale to the general public. These are priceless and thus were not included in the following list.
- 1913 Liberty Head V Nickel – $4,408,650
- Liberty Seated Dollar 1870 S Liberty Seated Dollar – $1,959,995
- St Gaudens Double Eagle1927 D St Gaudens Double Eagle – $1,200,000
- Flowing Hair Dollar1794 Flowing Hair Dollar – $825,098
- Capped Bust Half Dollar1838 O Capped Bust Half Dollar – $745,000
- Indian Head Gold Eagle1933 Indian Head Gold Eagle – $600,000
- Morgan Silver Dollar1893 S Morgan Silver Dollar – $550,000
- Capped Bust Half Dollar1817 Capped Bust Half Dollar – $500,000
- Draped Bust Half Dollar1797 Draped Bust Half Dollar – $500,000
- Morgan Silver Dollar1901 Morgan Silver Dollar – $350,000
Resource: The Telegraph